College can be expensive. That’s why scholarships for women are so valuable. First, they help lower the cost of going to school, which is worthwhile in itself. Second, they are only open to female students, making them potentially less competitive.
If you have a girl getting ready to head to college, here is the ultimate list of scholarships for women and girls.
- 1 General Scholarships for Women
- 2 Scholarships for Women in Business, Finance, or Accounting
- 3 Scholarships for Women in Teaching and Education
- 4 Scholarships for Women in STEM
- 5 Scholarships for Women in Nursing, Medicine, and Health
- 6 Scholarships for Minority Women
General Scholarships for Women
If your student isn’t sure what degree they will pursue or simply wants to apply for awards that don’t require a specific major, general scholarships for women are an excellent choice. The resources below aren’t restricted to specific fields, making them more flexible than some other options, like scholarships for women in STEM.
Here is a list of general scholarships for girls:
- 1000 Dreams Scholarship Fund
- AAUW Scholarship Program (Multiple Opportunities)
- Army Women’s Foundation Legacy Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities, Must Be a Current or Former Soldier or a Lineal Descendant)
- Emerge Scholarship (Georgia Residents Only)
- STAR Scholarship
- SBMEF Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities)
Scholarships for Women in Business, Finance, or Accounting
For students who have their eye on the worlds of business, finance, or accounting, the scholarships for girls below are ideal. They require specific majors or fields of study, limiting the amount of competition.
Here is a list of scholarships for women in business, accounting, or finance that your student should explore:
- Educational Foundation for Women in Accounting Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities)
- Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship
- PBWC Academic Scholarship Program (California Residents Only)
- WIIT Trust Scholarship
- Women in Public Finance Scholarships (Must Connect with Local Chapter)
Scholarships for Women in Teaching and Education
Teaching and education are excellent fields of study. However, many educators don’t earn high salaries initially, so keeping the cost of college low and avoiding student loans is essential.
Here is a list of scholarships for women interested in education and teaching:
- AASA Scholarship Program (Multiple Opportunities)
- American Montessori Society Teacher Education Scholarship
- Barbara Lotze Scholarship
- US Dept. of Education TEACH Grant
Some of the grants and scholarships for women above may require students to commit to teaching in specific fields, in low-income areas, or at a particular grade level. However, many won’t find these points burdensome if teaching is truly their calling.
Scholarships for Women in STEM
There are tons of scholarships for girls in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Whether your student is looking for scholarships for women in computer science, women in engineering scholarships, scholarships for women in science, or awards to help with any science, technology, engineering, or math degree, they are sure to find something to help fund their education.
Here are some of the scholarships for girls in STEM your student may want to explore:
- ABC Humane Wildlife Control & Prevention, Inc. Academic Scholarship
- Alice T. Schafer Mathematics Prize
- AWIS Kirsten R. Lorentzen Award
- Aysen Tunca Memorial Scholarship
- BHW Scholarship
- ESA Foundation Scholarship
- Gertrude M. Cox Scholarship
- NOAA Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program
- OpenStack Scholarship Program
- Palantir Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Scholarship
- Women Techmakers Scholars Program
Scholarships for Women in Nursing, Medicine, and Health
Whether your student has their heart set on being a doctor or nurse or is interested in a field like public health, these scholarships can make college more affordable.
Here is a list of scholarships for women in nursing, medicine, health, and similar fields:
- ANNA Career Mobility Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities)
- Future Care Scholarship
- March of Dimes Graduate Nursing Scholarships
- Nurse Corps Scholarship Program
- Oncology Nursing Society Foundation Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities)
Scholarships for Minority Women
Some scholarships for girls don’t just restrict the gender of applicants. Instead, they also aim to help minorities by making a college education more affordable.
Scholarships for Women from Any Minority Group
While certain scholarships for women do require the applicant to be part of a minority group, not all of them list a specific one.
If your student is female and a minority, here are a few scholarships to check out:
Scholarships for Black Women
Scholarships for African Americans are fairly plentiful, and some go a step further and limit the applicants to women.
If you are looking for scholarships for black women, take a look at these:
- Anarcha, Betsy, and Lucy Memorial Scholarship Award (Must Be a Medical Student)
- Anita Young Boswell Scholarship
- Julianne Malveaux Scholarship
- Hallie Q. Brown Scholarship Fund
- UNCF Essence Scholars Program
Scholarships for Asian Women
Asian women can also access scholarships that are either just for them or that highly favor female applicants with Asian backgrounds.
Here are a couple of scholarships for Asian women:
Scholarships for Hispanic / Latina Women
General scholarships for Latino students are widely available, but some also require applicants to be women.
Here is a list of scholarships for Hispanic women:
- Chicana Latina Foundation Scholarships (Multiple Opportunities)
- Hispanic Women’s Council Scholarship Program
- InGenesis Diversity Leadership Scholarship
Scholarships for Native American Women
Scholarships solely for Native American women are incredibly rare. However, there are opportunities to be had.
Here are a couple of resources and scholarships Native American women should explore:
- Association of American Indian Affairs Scholarships
- Mary Ball Carrera Scholarship (Must Be in Medical School)
Ultimately, all of the scholarships above can make college more affordable for women and girls of all ages.
If you want to discover how to find scholarships for women or other awards that can help your student graduate with as little debt as possible, join our free webinar! You’ll learn a ton about the scholarship process, including how to search for opportunities, organize and complete applications, write winning essays, and more. Head over to https://thescholarshipsystem.com/freewebinar to find out when the next training session is available.