Updated on May 1st, 2017
In the last post, we talked about 3 ways to reduce your child’s tuition bill. We covered specific exams that can eliminate certain required courses as well as discussed whether or not staying in state actually saves students money. If you missed that video, you can check it out here: Paying for College Part 1: Reducing Your Tuition Bill
In addition to those strategies, another strategy for saving money has to do with which major your child decides on.
When choosing a major, we always suggest that students ask themselves these 5 questions:
- What am I passionate about?
- How do I want to leave my mark on the world?
- Does this field have high demand in the job market? (Yes, this is important!)
- Is the average pay upon graduating something that I am comfortable with?
- Can I go into other careers with this major/do I have multiple options?
While students should certainly major in areas that correlate with their passion (as well as the job market), there are ways to take advantage of certain majors to reduce the cost of college while still following the path they want.
In this video, we get to dive into this more as well as share other ways a student’s major can help in reducing your tuition bill.
Find out how a student’s major can play a major factor in reducing your tuition bill: